Llanelli Town AFC 

What a contrast in two games, with the under par performance by the home side against  Abergavenny Town fading into insignificance  as they completely outplayed  one of their nearest rivals vying for the title with  a superb display of aggressive, attacking football to which their opponents had  no answer. Two goals by Lee Trundle with further contributions from Jordan Follows and Lee Bevan, sealed and emphatic win which moves the Reds six points clear of second placed Briton Ferry Llansawel having played a game less, and nine of Porth who have two games in hand.

The signing of James Loveridge during the week further boosts the Reds` options, and they are developing into a finely honed outfit capable of tackling  any opposition, and on this form, must be favourites for promotion come the end of the season. With the visitors boasting the meanest defence in the league having conceded only 15 goals in 12 matches, they came up against a home side with 52 goals to its credit after 14 games, and in no mood to allow this statistic to diminish.

In fact, Porth have goalkeeper David Burnett to thank for a string of important saves throughout, while in contrast, Craig Morris enjoyed a relatively quiet afternoon in the home goal. An early Trundle header forced Burnett into his first save, but he was soon picking the ball out of the net when a free kick awarded on the edge of the box for a foul on Robert Thomas led to Trundle  firing it low into the goalmouth past the visitors` keeper on 13 minutes.

Joe Clarke directed a header from a Trundle corner just over the bar, and a great build-up involving Follows  and Trundle led to the latter unleashing a strike which Burnett clawed around the post. A Thomas delivery into the box narrowly failed to find the head of Jordan Davies, but on the half hour mark the lead was doubled following a ball by Liam Samuel which allowed Follows to take on before finding the bottom corner.

Another Trundle set piece saw his shot rebound off the defensive wall into the path of Ross Jones, but again Burnett saved the visitors by keeping out his goal bound effort. Porth were hardly offering any threat, and were being hard pressed to keep at bay their rampant opponents, and in an attempt to inject some urgency into their play made a couple of changes at the start of the second period, with Aaron Hughes and Ben Ah-Mun replacing Stuart Brock and Ricardo McKenzie.

The home side also rang the changes, with Loveridge replacing Samuel on the hour mark, while they still continued to enjoy the lions share of possession, with Trundle forcing  Burnett to turn his finish for a corner when Follows set up the chance. Another Trundle corner forced the Porth keeper to turn it over the bar, but he was beaten again on 67 minutes when Bevan was found in the area from a Davies corner to power his header into the net.

With the Reds dictating play, Follows might well have added to the tally when put through by Trundle, but overran the ball which went harmlessly out of play, before two more changes by the home side saw Luke Morgan come on for Ross Jones and Adam Jones replace Richard Lewis. It was Morgan who was involved in the fourth and final goal, sending Trundle clear with a delicious pass, and as always his finish was clinical, giving Burnett no chance in the 87th minute.

This concluded the scoring, but apart from the final result, manager Andy Hill and his support staff must be delighted at the way the win was achieved, especially with the  fourth round of the Welsh Cup at the The New Saints looming on the horizon.

LLANELLI TOWN;   Morris; R. Thomas; Lewis (A. Jones, 79); R. Jones (Morgan, 76); C. Thomas; Bevan ©; Clarke; Davies; Follows; Trundle ; Samuel (Loveridge, 60);
Subs. not used; Finselbach; McFenton (GK).

AFC PORTH; Burnett; Barry; Bird; Biggs; Dwyer; Fish (James, 78); Hartrey; Davies;  Brock © (Hughes, 46); Toppar; McKenzie (Ah-Mun, 46);  Subs. not used; Case; Lawrence.

SCORERS;  Llanelli Town – Trundle, 13, 87; Follows, 30; Bevan, 67.
YELLOW CARD;    Llanelli Town – Loveridge.
REFEREE;  Neale Lewis (Ammanford).



Next Saturday, the Reds travel to meet the current holders of the Welsh Cup, The New Saints, at Park Hall in the fourth round of the competition. Kick off is at 2.30 p.m.