Llanelli Town AFC 

Despite the convincing final scoreline, this was not a vintage Reds performance as they struggled somewhat to put together any comprehensive moves against opponents languishing at the foot of the table. Admittedly, the visitors packed their defence in a damage limitation exercise, but even so the home side should have risen to the challenge in better fashion.

It took a 15th minute penalty converted by Lee Trundle who was brought down in the box by Nathan Thompson when Jordan Follows played him through for the Reds to open the scoring, and the ace striker went close again, forcing goalkeeper Adam Webb to divert clear his free kick on target. James Loveridge was unlucky to see his shot strike the far post when he cut inside from the left, while Webb denied Jordan Davies when Trundle played a pass into his path.

Davies would have an outstanding game, continually harassing the visitors when they had possession, while always looking to make searching runs at every opportunity. Another Loveridge effort again led to Webb managing to just keep it out, before he had better luck five minutes from the break when he and Davies combined from a short corner by the latter, allowing Loveridge to eventually fire beyond the keeper.

The Reds continued to dominate matters after the restart, and the visitors had Webb to thank for a number of saves, coming off his line to block Trundle when Follows set him up, and when Liam Samuel, who was playing his hundredth game for the club, met the rebound, the goalkeeper got down to smother it.  A run down the left by Loveridge culminated in Webb diverting his cross against the bar and into the path of Follows, but he failed to find the net from close range.

Trundle then headed against the woodwork from a Chris Thomas delivery, before he was involved in the Reds` third goal on 78 minutes when he burst through the middle only for Webb to again push away his effort, but he managed to regain possession before finding Follows a couple of yard from goal who could hardly miss. Five minutes later, Follows got another, although he knew little about it when Webb, for once, failed to cleanly gather a high ball from Trundle into the goalmouth, and it struck Follows before rolling into the net

Two minutes from the final whistle came the best goal of the afternoon arrived when Trundle, from the edge of the area, curled a delightful floated chip over Webb into the top corner. There was just enough time for Webb to deny Follows a hat-trick when he diverted clear his goal-bound attempt, but the Reds ran out comfortable winners without really hitting the heights.

LLANELLI TOWN;   Morris; R. Thomas; A. Jones; Clarke; C. Thomas (McNab, 87); Bevan ©; Samuel (Wade, 68); Davies; Follows; Trundle; Loveridge (Martin, 89);  Subs. not used; McFenton (GK); Hilli.

NEWPORT CITY;   Webb; Coleman; Williams (Herbert, 59); Pope; Thompson; Graves ©; Palmer; Fahmi (Simcock, 76); Chubb; Carew; Buckley; Subs. not used; Holdsworth; Morgan.

SCORERS;  Llanelli Town – Trundle (P), 15, 88. Loveridge, 40; Follows, 78, 83.

YELLOW CARDS;   Llanelli Town – Loveridge; Bevan. Newport City – Carew; Pope.

REFEREE;  Pascal Neale (Carmarthen).


A bumper crowd is expected at Stebonheath next Friday evening with the visit of second-placed Briton Ferry Llansawel, with the result possibly a pointer as to where the title is heading.
Kick off 7.30 p.m.